London Assembly FAQs
Economic development FAQs
> Fire and emergency
Fire and emergency planning
The London Fire and Civil Defence Authority was reconstituted
on 3 July 2000 as the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA),
which is directly accountable to the Mayor.
Who runs the
The 17 members of the Authority are appointed by the Mayor. Eight
are nominated from the London Assembly, seven from the London boroughs
and two are Mayoral appointees.
does the LFEPA do?
For fire, the LFEPA:
For emergency planning, the LFEPA holds and fulfils
the following responsibilities by law:
- sets the strategy for the provision of fire services
the fire brigade can meet all normal requirements efficiently
- ensures members
of the fire brigade are properly trained and equipped
- ensures effective
arrangements are in place to receive fire calls and deal with them promptly
information likely to be useful for firefighting is gathered
- ensures arrangements
for advice and guidance on fire prevention are made
- Works in partnership with London’s local authorities to develop plans that will ensure a co-ordinated response in the event of an emergency
- Leads on the arrangements and provides 24 hour support for the London Local Authority Gold
- Delivery of an annual training and exercise programme to support London Local Authority Gold
- Preparation, review, revision and testing of off-site emergency plans for
industrial sites in London that fall under the Control of Major Accident
What does the Mayor do?
- appoints the members of the LFEPA and the Chairman of LFEPA
- sets the LFEPA's budget
What does the Assembly do?
examines and approves the Mayor's budget for the fire and emergency planning services
a close watch on the overall performance of the LFEPA
eight members to sit on the LFEPA's board
do the boroughs do?
- Boroughs nominate seven members to represent
them all, and they are appointed by the Mayor
of the LFEPA
LFEPA website www.london-fire.gov.uk
You can contact the LFEPA at:
London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority
169 Union Street
Telephone 020 8555 1200